Call for Applications: College of Electors
Are you an alumni member committed to the mission of Canada’s leading institution of learning, discovery, and knowledge creation? Are you looking for a way to make a significant volunteer contribution to the University of Toronto? If so, consider applying for one of three alumni governor seats on the Governing Council, the senior body that oversees the University’s academic, business, and student affairs.
The College of Electors is seeking candidates who are inspired to enrich the University with special perspectives, experiences, and connections; who will actively participate in the governance of the University; and who will reflect the diversity of the University’s alumni.
Applications will be available as of Thursday, November 17, 2022 at 12 noon. The deadline to submit an application is Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. Each seat is for a three-year term beginning July 1, 2023 and ending June 30, 2026.
Collectively and individually, governors are stewards of the University who: support and advance its mission; provide relevant input into its vision; and advise on, oversee, and approve a range of University matters, within the framework of delegated authority.
Members of the Governing Council make a significant time commitment in their volunteer service to the University. This is a minimum of 200+ hours per year. In addition to serving on the Governing Council, there is an expectation that governors will also serve on one or more of its Boards, Campus Councils, or Committees. Regular in-person meetings are scheduled from September to June, usually begin at 4:00 or 5:00 p.m., and continue for about two or two and a half hours. Governors also frequently attend University and community functions, where they serve as ambassadors of the University; along with being asked to serve on various ad hoc, search, or advisory committees. Candidates located in the Greater Toronto Area will find it easier to meet these expectations.
Desired Attributes for 2023
As part of this year’s application process, there is particular interest in recruiting outstanding alumni who will help “DEFY GRAVITY” in the following ways and reflect the diversity and lived experience of the University’s alumni in their mid-career and beyond who also may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
- Engaging and persuasive communicators with consensus-building skills and good judgment;
- Creative, strategic and critical thinkers, with emerging ideas and technologies to reimagine the University of the future;
- Can act as dedicated advocates for post-secondary education and its value including internal and external advocacy on behalf of the University;
- Can commit time and energy as a volunteer to actively participate (in person) and master the complexity of the University; with a genuine interest in championing its evolution as a preeminent teaching and research institution;
- Have an interest in shaping and guiding the changing student experience including promoting student success;
- Have demonstrated insight into mental health as a critical factor, in the well-being of university life and the well-being of society;
- Have demonstrated governance experience in large and complex organizations, particularly in a leadership role and also those who have experience in dealing with various levels of government;
- Have demonstrated a robust volunteer service commitment including having already been an active and passionate volunteer on behalf of the University with a good foundation of knowledge of the University and its three campuses; have a strong community presence and networks;
- Have a general knowledge of and experience in one or more areas important to the University (for example: real estate, capital projects, city building, senior leadership succession planning, risk management (including cyber & reputational), financial services (e.g. audit, budget and investments); and
- Have international experience and/or exposure.
The 2023 Alumni Governor application package is available at https://uoft.me/alumni-governors
(Please follow link to application package re 3 ALUMNI GOVERNOR SEATS).
The deadline to submit an application is Thursday, December 15, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.