Looking Back at the NewOne & CEL Community / Social Justice Fair
On October 26, NewONE and CEL hosted a community / social justice fair where they invited guests from various community-focused organizations to share their work and vision. The fair was a great opportunity to learn about the issues and challenges facing our society, and how we can get involved and make a difference.
Some of the invited guests include:
- The Ontario Health Coalition, a network of over 400 grassroots community organizations representing virtually all areas of Ontario. Their goal is to protect and improve our public health care system for all.
- Plant Based Treaty, an organization calling on the government to adopt a plant-based food system as a response to the climate emergency. They believe that shifting to a plant-based diet is essential for the health of people, animals, and the planet.
- Chinese Canadian National Council, a national organization that advocates for the rights and well-being of Chinese Canadians. They work on issues such as anti-racism, immigration, social justice, and civic engagement.
- Mining Injustice Solidarity Network, a Toronto-based activist group that challenges the practices of Canadian mining companies, both in Canada and abroad. They support communities affected by mining and demand accountability and justice from the industry.
- Mayworks Festival, an annual multidisciplinary arts festival that celebrates the culture of working people and the labour movement. They showcase the artistic expression of diverse and marginalized workers and promote art as a tool for social change.
- Art Museum at the University of Toronto, a gallery at the St. George campus with programming and exhibitions focused on socially relevant topics
Other participating organizations also include:
- Justice for Migrant Workers / Migrant Workers Legal Clinic
- Injured Workers Action for Justice
- CUPE 3902
- Ontario Clean Air Alliance
- United Steel workers
- West Neighborhood House Newcomers Youth
The community / social justice fair was a success, and NewONE and CEL would love to thank all the guests and participants for their contributions. We hope to continue this dialogue and collaboration in the future, and build a more just and sustainable world.
This contribution was written by Isaac Ng, a work-study student in NewOne and CEL programs.