Effective Fall 2021, courses associated with New College programs will have new three-letter designators based on the area of study: “AFR” (African Studies), “BPM” (Buddhism, Psychology and Mental Health), “CAR” (Caribbean Studies), and “CSE” (Critical Studies in Equity and Solidarity). For program completion purposes, the courses previously offered under the “NEW” designator are interchangeable with the new designator(s).
African Studies Programs
2023 – 2024 African Studies Course Timetable – Coming Soon
Core course requirements:
- 2.5 credits from Group A
- 2.0 credits from Group B
- 2.0 credits from Groups A or B
- 2.0 credits in language courses from Group C (a progression in one language) or 2.0 credits in a major African language approved by the Program Committee
- 4.0 credits must be 300/400 series (including at least 1.0 credit 400-series course) of which at least 1.0 credit must be from Group A and another from Group B
Major program: (6 full Courses)
Core course requirements:
- 2.0 credits from Group A.
- 1.5 credits from Group B, or AFR280Y1 and AFR380Y1
- At least 2.0 credits from Groups A and/or B must be at the 300/400 level
- AFR150Y1 (recommended in first year)
- 1.0 credit from Group A
- 1.0 credit from Group B, or another one from Group A
- 1.0 credit from Group B or AFR280Y1, or AFR380Y1
- At least 1.0 credit from Groups A or B must be at the 300/400 level.
(Courses that deal exclusively with Africa. These include but are not limited to the following): AFR250Y1, AFR251H1, AFR270H1, AFR290H1, AFR298H1, AFR322H1, AFR351Y1, AFR352H1, AFR353H1, AFR354H1, AFR355H1, AFR357H1, AFR358H1, AFR359H1, AFR365H1, AFR370H1, AFR389H1, AFR450Y1, AFR451H1, AFR453Y1, AFR454H1, AFR455H1, AFR459H1, AFR499H1, ENG367H1, FCS392H1, HIS295Y1, HIS297Y1, HIS319H1, HIS322H1, HIS342H1, HIS383Y1, HIS394H1, HIS450H1, HIS481H1, HIS483H1, HIS486H1, JNH350H1, JQR360H1, POL301H1, POL309H1, POL488H1, POL489H1, an independent studies course approved by the Program Committee
(Courses that deal with Africa and/or one or more of its diaspora. These include but are not limited to the following): ANT204H1, ANT345H1, ANT348H1, ANT364H1, ANT374H1, CAR220H1, CAR221H1, CAR225H1, CAR226H1, CAR321H1, CAR324H1, CAR325H1, CIN332Y1, CIN372Y1, CSE444H1, DRM462H1, DTS200Y1, DTS401H1, DTS402H1, ECO231H1, ECO232H1, ECO324H1, ENG270H1, ENG356Y1, ENG370Y1, ENT200H1, ENV221H1, ENV333H1, FOR201H1, FRE332H1, FRE334H1, FRE336H1, GGR112H1, GGR338H1, GGR419H1, HAJ453H1, HIS106Y1, HIS221H1, HIS222H1, HIS230H1, HIS231H1, HIS293H1, HIS359H1, HIS360H1, HIS391Y1, HIS392Y1, HIS413H1, HIS446H1, HIS474H1, HIS487H1, HMB202H1, HMB203H1, HMB303H1, HMB323H1, HMB433H1, HMB443H1, JPR374H1, MGT230H1, MGT250H1, MGT201H1, NFS490H1, NMC343H1, NMC344H1, NMC362Y1, NMC374H1, NMC376H1, NMC377Y1, NMC378H1, NMC379H1, NMC381H1, PHL336H1, PHL380H1, POL201H1, POL223H1, POL486H1, POL417H1, POL418H1, POL445H1, POL447H1, POL479H1, RLG203H1, RLG204H1, RLG241H1, RLG312H1, RLG351H1, RLG355H1, SDS246H1, SDS355H1, SOC210H1, WGS273H1, WGS369H1, WGS385H1, WGS386H1, WGS426H1, WGS440H1, WGS463H1