Effective Fall 2021, courses associated with New College programs will have new three-letter designators based on the area of study: “AFR” (African Studies), “BPM” (Buddhism, Psychology and Mental Health), “CAR” (Caribbean Studies), and “CSE” (Critical Studies in Equity and Solidarity). For program completion purposes, the courses previously offered under the “NEW” designator are interchangeable with the new designator(s).
African Studies Programs
2022 – 2023 African Studies Course Timetable
Core course requirements:
- 2.5 full course equivalents from Group A, to be chosen from at least two different departments/programs.
- Two full course equivalents from Group B
- Two full course equivalents from Groups A or B
- 2.0 credits in language courses from Group C (a progression in one language) or 2.0 credits in a major African language approved by the Program Committee
- Four full course equivalents of the eleven courses must be 300/400 series (including at least one 400-series course) of which at least one must be from Group A and another from Group B
Major program: (6 full courses)
Core course requirements:
- 1.5 full course equivalents from Group A.
- Two full course equivalents from Group B, or AFR280Y1 and AFR380Y1
- At least two full course equivalents from Groups A and/or B must be at the 300/400 level.
- AFR150Y1 (recommended in first year)
- One full course equivalent from Group A
- One full course equivalent from Group B, or another one from Group A
- One full course equivalent from Group B or AFR280Y1, or AFR380Y1
- At least one one full course equivalent from Groups A or B must be at the 300/400 level.
(Courses that deal exclusively with Africa. These include but are not limited to the following): AFR250Y1, AFR290H1, AFR322H1, AFR351Y1, AFR352H1, AFR353H1, AFR354H1, AFR355H1, AFR357H1, AFR358H1, AFR359H1, AFR365H1, AFR370H1, AFR389H1, AFR450Y1, AFR451H1, AFR453Y1, AFR454H1, AFR455H1, AFR459H1, AFR499H1; ENG367H1; FCS392H1; HIS295Y1, HIS297Y1, HIS342H1, HIS383Y1, HIS394H1, HIS481H1, HIS486H1; JNH350H1; JQR360H1; POL301Y1, POL309H1, POL488Y1, POL489H1; or an independent studies course approved by the program committee.
(Courses that deal with Africa and/or one or more of its diaspora. These include but are not limited to the following):
ANT204H1, ANT345H1, ANT348H1, ANT364H1, ANT374H1; ARC233H1; CAR220H1, CAR221H1, CAR225H1, CAR226H1, CAR321H1, CAR324H1, CAR325H1; CIN332Y1, CIN372Y1; DTS200Y1, DTS401H1, DTS402H1; ECO230Y1, ECO231H1, ECO232H1, ECO324H1; ENG270Y1, ENG356Y1, ENG370H1; ENT200H1, ENV221H1, ENV333H1; FOR201H1; FRE332H1, FRE334H1, FRE336H1; GGR112H1, GGR338H1, GGR419H1; HAJ453H1; HIS106Y1, HIS221H1, HIS222H1, HIS230H1, HIS231H1, HIS293H1, HIS359H1, HIS360H1, HIS391Y1, HIS392Y1, HIS413H1, HIS446H1, HIS474H1, HIS487H1; HMB202H1, HMB203H1, HMB303H1, HMB323H1, HMB433H1, HMB443H1; JPR374H1; MGT201H1, MGT230H1, MGT250H1, NFS490H1; NMC343H1, NMC344H1, NMC362Y1, NMC374H1, NMC376H1, NMC377Y1, NMC378H1, NMC381H1; PHL336H1, PHL380H1; POL201H1, POL223H1, POL417H1, POL418H1, POL445H1, POL447H1, POL479H1, POL486H1, RLG203H1, RLG204H1, RLG241H1, RLG312H1, RLG351H1, RLG355H1; SDS355H1; SOC210H1; WGS369H1, WGS385H1, WGS426H1, WGS440H1, WGS450H1, WGS463H1