About the Global Food Equity Initiative
New College, Equity Studies and the New One: Learning Without Borders program, along with Hart House, the Toronto Food Policy Council, the Centre for Community Partnerships and other partners, are collaborating on the Global Food Equity initiative.
We connect scholars, students and the community through food by developing food-related programming, coordinating with other U of T programs and campus events and liaising with community groups on food issues.
Building on our original food security research practicum, over the next few years we hope to establish a full Global Food Equity stream within our existing Equity Studies major program.
- An interview with Lori Stahlbrand, New College Food Equity Coordinator
- An interview with food policy analyst and New College Visiting Scholar Dr. Wayne Roberts
- A video interview with Lori Stahlbrand about her New One Food Matters courses
- Food Matters: This New College course encourages students to snack in class
- Photo Gallery of New One: Food Matters I and II
- Lori Stahlbrand wins best PhD paper
- NEW342H: Theory & Praxis in Food Security
- NEW442H: Food Systems and the Politics of Resistance
Global Food Equity – 2016-2017 Activities
Food Banks – A Panel Discussion and Book Launch on Thursday, April 6, 2017 from 6.30PM – 9.00PM.
New College co-hosts Resetting the Table – The 2016 Food Secure Canada National Assembly
Learn More about the Food Secure Canada Assembly
Since 2008, New College has hosted a number of prominent speakers at a variety of Global Food Equity events. Past speakers include
- Raj Patel, author of Stuffed and Starved: Markets, Choice, and the Battle for the World’s Food System and The Value of Nothing
- Helena Norberg-Hodge, author of Ancient Futures: Learning from Ladakh and director of the documentary The Economics of Happiness
- Carolyn Steel, author of Hungry City: How Food Shapes Our Lives
Read about our more recent activities below:
- 2015-2016 Global Food Equity Activities
- 2014-2015 Global Food Equity Activities
- 2013-2014 Global Food Equity Activities
- 2012-2013 Global Food Equity Activities