Services and Amenities
Residence services help make the experience of living in residence comfortable and easy. New College provides a variety of services, including maintenance, IT support, and the friendly Front Desk staff.
Wilson Hall Front Desk
Address: Wilson Hall’s main entrance, 40 Willcocks Street
Phone Number: 416-978-8877
Hours: Monday – Sunday, 4am-3am (23 hours a day)
The Front Desk is your first stop for assistance with everything from maintenance issues to questions about internet connectivity. If you encounter issues in residence, notify the helpful staff at the Front Desk and they will refer you to the appropriate resources.
Lost Keys and Lock-Outs
If a resident locks themselves out of their room or loses their keys, they must visit the Front Desk to complete a Lost Key/Lockout Form and sign out the backup key.
Mail and Parcels
After check-in, mail and parcels for residents in all three New College buildings are received by the Wilson Hall Front Desk.
Please note, we do not accept mail and parcels for residents before they have checked in to residence. Please arrange for parcels to arrive after you have checked in or to be delivered to a parcel depot for pickup.
Mail and Parcel Policies
- Packages must be labelled with your full name and address, including your building address and mailbox number.
- The Front Desk does not accept packages weighing over 10kg (22lbs).
- Heavy packages must be delivered to a parcel depot for pickup or you must arrange to meet the delivery outside the building.
- The Front Desk does not accept perishable items such as grocery or food deliveries (e.g. UberEats). Residents are responsible for meeting delivery drivers outside their building.
- The Front Desk does not accept federally or provincially controlled substances requiring proof of age and signature upon delivery, such as alcohol and cannabis.
- The Front Desk does not accept packages requiring cash on delivery (e.g. duties owing).
Residents are expected to regularly check your assigned mailbox throughout the year. Please follow the package pickup hours, which are listed at the Front Desk.
Maintenance and Bed Adjustments
If you require maintenance in your room, please report this at the Wilson Front Desk. You will be asked to fill out a Service Request Form to notify the maintenance staff that your room requires service.
If your bed height needs to be adjusted, please fill out a Service Request Form at the Front Desk. Special tools are required to adjust the bed and this action must be performed by a maintenance staff member.
Students must meet delivery drivers in the lobby. The Front Desk will not accept food or grocery deliveries.
New College Amenities
New College offers a variety of amenities that are available to New College students and New College residents.
New College has a bike room where bicycles can be stored. Spaces are limited and available on a first-come first-serve basis.
Who can use the bike room? The room is available to current New College residents only.
When is the room available? The room is available from September 11, 2023 until May 1st, 2024.
How do I apply for the bike room? To request bike room access, complete the application below. Please have the following information at hand when you’re ready to submit:
- Bicycle Make, Model and Colour
- Bicycle Serial Number
If you have any questions, contact ORSL at email@example.com.
Body Works Studio
New College has a Body Works Studio in the basement of 45 Willcocks that can be used for exercises such as dancing (soft-soled exercise shoes only).
Who can use the Studio? The Studio is available to current New College residents and New College students only. Summer residents who are not New College students are not eligible for access.
How do I book the Studio? To request a Studio booking, complete the booking form below. If you have any questions, contact ORSL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New College has music practice rooms in 45 Willcocks and Wilson Hall. The rooms contain pianos; other instruments are also welcome.
Who can use the practice rooms? The rooms are available to current New College residents and New College students only. Summer residents who are not New College students are not eligible for access.
How do I apply for the practice rooms? To request music room access, complete the application below. If you have any questions, contact ORSL at email@example.com.
Study Spaces and Supports
Wilson Hall and Wetmore Hall both have 24-hour lounge spaces furnished with tables, chairs, and lounge seating.
45 Willcocks has a study room on each residence floor, as well as lounge spaces in the Atrium and on the William Doo Auditorium steps.
The Donald G. Ivey Library
The Donald G. Ivey Library in Wilson Hall provides an excellent study space and a wheelchair-accessible computer lab. Library services include:
- 24-hour study space available to all New College students during exam periods;
- 20 computer workstations that are open to all university members;
- 2 New College Student Computer Labs, including 44 computer workstations reserved for New College students;
- Bookable group study rooms;
- Technology for loan at the circulation desk, including laptops, chargers, and microphones;
- Black & white and colour printing;
- Computers feature assistive technology Kurzweil 3000, JAWS text to speech, and ZoomText magnifier
Information about these services can be found on the Ivey Library website.
Ivey Library also houses the Women’s Studies collection, which is of international significance.
New College Arts & Science Students can access a variety of academic supports at the College. These include:
- Academic advising on a wide range on topics, available through the New College Registrar’s Office;
- Appointments and drop-in sessions with the New College Writing Centre;
- Appointments with the New College Learning Strategist;
- Appointments and drop-in sessions for first-year students with the New College Math Learning Centre;
- Office hours at the New College Statistics Aid Centre.
Full wireless internet access is available on all residence floors in all three buildings. Access is also available in the public areas of New College, including the Wilson and Wetmore Lounges and the D.G. Ivey Library in Wilson Hall.
Getting Connected in Your Room
All rooms are equipped with Wi-Fi and most have a ResNet connection for each resident which allows complimentary access to the University’s computing network and, through the University network, to the Internet.
For information about the wireless networks supported by U of T and how to create an account please follow this link to the U of T Information Commons Help Desk.
Please note that wireless routers are not permitted in residence.
Connectivity Issues in Residence
College IT Services
The College’s local IT group provides basic troubleshooting support to get you connected and computing. The IT Office is located in Wetmore Hall, Room 77 (in the basement) and can be contacted at 416-946-8368. An on-duty IT specialist will be able to assist you.
Please visit their webpage for the latest updates and procedures on getting support for your devices.
Our internet usage policy strictly prohibits students from downloading copyrighted material. The policy is outlined in the New College Residence Policies under “Schedule C – New College Network Usage Agreement.”
If a student violates this agreement they will be locked out of their internet access for a period of time. If they continue to violate the agreement, they may be prevented from accessing the internet indefinitely. Note that all violations are treated in compound to wired and wireless access. Blocks may not be immediate, the University may block your access to both connection services at any time if an offence has been detected.