For Fall 2023, the group will be in-person on Tuesdays (D. G. Ivey Library, New College, Lower Level in the group study rooms) from 2-5 p.m. and online on select Fridays from 2-5 p.m.
The CAESS Writing Group is for students in at least one Caribbean, African or Equity and Solidarity Studies course.
Fall 2023 Dates:
In person (Tuesdays):
September 26th, October 3rd, 17th, 24th, November 14th, 21st, 28th, December 5th
On Zoom (Fridays):
October 13th, 20th, 27th, November 3rd, 17th, 24th, December 1st, 8th, 15th
Please note: there will also be a Zoom session on Tuesday, December 12th
The Writing Group brings together students in Caribbean, African, and Equity and Solidarity Studies with faculty from these three programs, the writing centre, and the Ivey Library. As long as a student is taking at least one CAESS course, they are welcome to attend this group. The group meets for intensive, productive and fun afternoons in which all members work on their own current projects. Students can also consult with faculty and each other about their papers and projects. CAESS students applying to graduate or professional programs can can also bring their personal statements, research statements and so on to get feedback from writing instructors, librarians, and/or faculty. Bring work from any course you are taking. Here is how student participants have told us the group helped them:
- Became more motivated
- Got more work done and made better use of their time
- Understood better what makes a good paper and how to plan to write one
- Get invaluable feedback on personal or research statements for graduate or professional program applications
- More able to talk about ideas and find their own voice
- Met new people and enjoyed being part of a community of writers
- Were able to connect with professors
- Became more aware of own strengths and abilities
Participation in the Writing Group is eligible for CCR validation (https://ccr.utoronto.ca/home.htm) For further information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Zoom link for Fridays:
For Fall 2023, the group will be in-person on Tuesdays (D. G. Ivey Library, New College, Lower Level in the group study rooms) from 2-5 p.m. and online on select Fridays from 2-5 p.m. Each session provides:
- Writing and research consultations from program faculty, writing faculty, and librarians
- A chance to meet with peers to share strategies for writing, research, learning, time-management, and more
- Faculty check-in
- Coffee-break connection and collaboration!